Zebra Nerite Snail
Neritina natalensis sp. "Zebra"
The Zebra Nerite Snail is one of the most, if not the most, popular nerite snail in the hobby. Its colouration is a beautiful golden shell with black jagged-edged stripes running down. It is one of the larger nerite snails with a size ranging from 1/2" to a full inch in size. I have seen some rather large ones.
One downside to the Zebra Nerite Snail and this applies to most other nerite snails, is its inability to breed in pure freshwater. The Zebra Nerite Snail requires brackish water in order to breed successfully. Some hobbyists have been somewhat successful in breeding nerite snails but it does not seem that the young aquatic snails survive for too long. Some may look at this as a plus, meaning that the Zebra Nerite will not overpopulate a tank and become another pest in the aquarium.
The Zebra Nerite Snail is typically black and gold, or sometimes a gold-lime colouration. The colouration pattern is not a swirl but rather the colour extends in lines from the very back tip of the snail. The Zebra Nerite Snail is one of the most popular, if not the most, due to this beautiful colouration and pattern.
Another plus for the Zebra Nerite Snail is its algae eating abilities. This snail will clean your tank glass spotless and also clean algae off of rocks and even leaves. Many hobbyists purchase the Zebra Nerite Snail more because of its algae eating abilities than its visual looks. It is recommended that you supplement their diet with algae wafers or similar type food since the Tracked Nerite Snail may not be able to sustain itself solely on algae in the tank. This species is also larger than other nerite snails and will not be able to successfully eat algae off of small leaves due to its weight.
The Zebra Nerite Snail can tend to escape from a tank and make its way outside of the tank. It is considered a tidal snail and can live outside of water. Simply pick them up and put them back inside of the tank, they will survive as long as they have not been out of the tank for too long. It is recommended to keep an eye on them and look around the tank occasionally for possible escapes. It is thought that when the snail is uncomfortable it will escape, but will not when happy. It is also an extremely docile creature and does not bother any other aquarium inhabitants.
Size of the snail: ~ 0.5 - 1.5 cm
Young snails so they can have a full life to destroy nasty algae for you
We can’t ship Livestock and Live Plants to WA and TAS due to State Restrictions. Kindly check out our DOA and other policies before purchase!!
Purchase: Our Australian Native Nerite with us
Other things to consider before placing an order:
* Check to see if your tank has enough space.
* Ensure your tank is fully cycled.
* Ensure your new livestock is compatible tank mates for any other aquatic fish you currently have (in terms of habitat, species, requirements, temperament, and size)
* Ensure that your water parameters, habitat and temperature are suitable for the species you want to introduce.
* Do not stock your tank too quickly, or suddenly a large influx of fish can unbalance your water parameters that will affect the water quality.
* Do not feed your new fish for 24hrs. They need time to settle in and feel at home. Feeding them too quickly puts their health at risk, and it can even affect your water quality. If you have existing fish in your aquarium, feeding them before releasing the new fish is a good idea.
* Don’t be alarmed if, upon arrival, your fish, shrimp or snail look pale or lethargic. This is normal behaviour while in transit, and they should return to full colour and vibrancy after settling into their new home for a few days.
Also, be aware that livestock often gets stress and lose their colours after the long travel to you, this often happened to most livestock ( shrimps, guppies, plecos, and so on, kindly make sure you have the right set up, the aquarium must be fully cycled with the ideal parameters. Fishes and shrimps will often take from 3-7 days to fully adapt to the new home. If you have any concerns with your set up kindly talk to us or check out some online tutorials before purchase.
At Micro Aquatic shop, we strive to provide excellent service and high-quality products, any concerns kindly contact us asap and often we will get back to you in a few hours during working hours. We do not accept claims when the livestock entered your aquarium as there might be so many factors that can affect the wellbeing of the livestock, on our part we can guarantee that we are always sending out healthy and quality fishes and shrimps to you.
What to Expect from Us
All Aquatic plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee!!
There is absolutely ZERO Risk in buying from our trusted store as we use Encrypted SSL certificates for 100% Security so you don't have to worry about your security!