The Gertrude’s Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish, (Pseudomugil gertrudae) is one of the lesser widespread variants of the Blue Eye Rainbowfish and is native to Indonesia, New Guinea, and Australia. It lives in very large schools in areas with dense vegetation, so it is an ideal candidate for the planted aquarium and especially enjoys the cover of floating plants. Males display iridescent yellow and blue coloration on their bodies and fins, particularly while competing with other males. The second dorsal and anal fins of males become very extended and fan-like with maturity. Females are typically smaller and often possess an attractive orange-yellow hue.
The entire family of rainbowfish is popular in freshwater aquaria due to the generally peaceful disposition, hardiness, and beautiful coloration of its members. While many popular rainbowfish species eventually become too large to be kept with dwarf shrimp and some other nano species, the Gertrude’s Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish is one of a few exceptions. Fully grown rainbowfish of this species are typically safe to keep even with adult dwarf shrimp and virtually all non-aggressive invertebrates that we offer.
- Active, schooling community fish that thrives in planted aquariums
- Compatible with most invertebrates, including dwarf shrimp
- Adults (especially males) display colorful, ornate finnage
- Among the smallest of the Blue Eye Rainbowfish
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 4.5 - 7.5
- KH: 12 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. High-quality dry foods will be accepted but should be supplemented often with small, meaty frozen and live foods.
- Social behavior: Schooling/shoaling, and should be kept in as large of groups as possible. Peaceful with most other comparably sized fish but is timid and can be outcompeted for food. Usually compatible with adult dwarf shrimp and other invertebrates.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to Indonesia, New Guinea, Northern Australia
- Average adult size: 1.2 - 1.5 inches (3 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.2 - 2.5 cm)
You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, simply login to your account, view the order using the 'Complete Orders' link under the My Account menu and click the Return Item(s) button. We'll notify you via e-mail of your refund once we've received and processed the returned item.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.