The Darwin Algae Eating Shrimp is an undescribed species of shrimp that was, until recently, classified as Caridina longisrostris. However, upon scientific revision, it was concluded that the species was more closely related to C. sp. NTnilotica. The species has been collected in numerous locations in the Darwin area, including; Leanyer Swamp, Buffalo Ck., Holmes Jungle, Daly River, and Roper River.
Youtube Link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dko_2NzOWLg
It is an ideal species for the consumption of algae in the planted aquarium. It seems to favor the filament hair type algae as a preferred food source. Adding a significant number of these to an aquarium will greatly contribute to keeping algae at bay. It will also consume detritus. If no algae are present, these shrimp will feed on normal fish foods. Personally, I feed them food intended for catfish and loaches.
The female is larger in color, males are small thin, and clear. The colors can range from light green to red with a white stripe running from the rostrum to the tip of the tail.
This species does not reproduce very well in freshwater, however, some juveniles do survive. There is no research for reproducing this species however it appears to be similar to some other Atyiid shrimps in that it needs a marine or brackish phase in its life cycle. To produce numbers of this shrimp its larvae are raised in brackish ponds with salinity over 17ppt with high dissolved oxygen levels. The presence of algae is vital to raising large quantities of young. Once the larvae are through their first few molts and resemble their parents they are changed over to freshwater.
Preferred Water Parameters:
Temperature:22-27 degrees celsius
General Hardness: Soft-Moderate
Range: Northern Territory, Australia.
Reproduction: After mating the female carries her eggs under her tail. The young disperse when they are fully developed.
Feeding: Omnivorous and Herbivorous (grazes on algae). Will also scavenge fish foods.
Size: 0.6 to 3 cm
Additional Comments: Native Australian shrimp, very useful for algae control in planted tanks. Ensure fish tankmates are of similar small size. Please note: avoid the use of copper-based treatments if invertebrates are present in the tank.
What to Expect from Us
Everything comes with a 100% live arrival guarantee!!
We can’t ship Livestock and Live Plants to WA and TAS due to State Restrictions. Kindly check out our DOA and other policies before purchase!!
Other things to consider before placing an order:
* Check to see if your tank has enough space.
* Ensure your tank is fully cycled.
* Ensure your new livestock is compatible tank mates for any other fish you currently have (in terms of habitat, species, requirements, temperament, and size)
* Ensure that your water parameters, habitat and temperature are suitable for the species you want to introduce.
* Do not stock your tank too quickly, or suddenly a large influx of fish can unbalance your water parameters that will affect the water quality.
* Do not feed your new fish for 24hrs. They need time to settle in and feel at home. Feeding them too quickly puts their health at risk, and it can even affect your water quality. If you have existing fish in your aquarium, feeding them before releasing the new fish is a good idea.
* Don’t be alarmed if, upon arrival, your fish, shrimp or snail look pale or lethargic. This is normal behaviour while in transit, and they should return to full colour and vibrancy after settling into their new home for a few days.
Also, be aware that livestock often gets stress and lose their colours after the long travel to you, this often happened to most livestock ( shrimps, guppies, plecos, and so on, kindly make sure you have the right set up, the aquarium must be fully cycled with the ideal parameters. Fishes and shrimps will often take from 3-7 days to fully adapt to the new home. If you have any concerns with your set up kindly talk to us or check out some online tutorials before purchase.
At Micro Aquatic shop, we strive to provide excellent service and high-quality products, any concerns kindly contact us asap and often we will get back to you in a few hours during working hours. We do not accept claims when the livestock entered your aquarium as there might be so many factors that can affect the wellbeing of the livestock, on our part we can guarantee that we are always sending out healthy and quality fishes and shrimps to you.
Limited Quantity Available - Will Sell out Fast!
There is absolutely ZERO Risk in buying from our trusted store as we use Encrypted SSL certificates for 100% Security so you don't have to worry about your security!